
There are three accounts in this passage. The first one is the woman caught in adultery. The scribes and Pharisees brought Jesus a woman that was accused of adultery and tried to trap Him with a legal predicament. If Jesus denied she deserved to be stoned, He would be accused of going against Jewish law. If He agreed to stone her, then He would be guilty of enacting capital punishment, something that only the Roman authorities could enforce. But Jesus challenges the men to cast the first stone if they were truly without sin. They all felt guilty and left. Jesus forgave this woman and told her to go and sin no more. This account demonstrates the mercy of our Savior and his willingness to protect us from shame. But Jesus also makes it clear that He doesn't tolerate sin, hence why He told her to sin no more. Christ has more than enough mercy, but I must repent and not take that mercy for granted. I'm thankful that God doesn't condemn me, but I must pursue holiness and live a life that pleases Him.

The second account introduces us to the second I AM statement of Jesus. He declared ' I AM the Light of the world.' Throughout Scripture, God is either referred to as light or is associated with it, as light represents truth. Jesus is the Ultimate Reality and embodiment of Truth that has set foot in the world. Jesus is the Light that breaks through deception and evil, which is represented by darkness throughout Scripture. He bears Witness of God the Father, as He explains to the Pharisees in the passage.
Jesus then goes on to state that the Truth shall set them free. The Jews were confused and didn't understand what they needed to be free from. When Jesus said they were servants of sin and only He (Jesus) had the power to make them free, they tried to justify themselves by pointing to their Hebrew heritage in Abraham. As the passage goes on, Jesus basically insinuates that He is superior to Abraham. This culminates in verse 58 when Jesus makes the statement that incited the Jews to want to stone Him: Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Jesus used the exact Name God used for Himself when He encountered Moses in the burning bush. Jesus declared His equality with God. Jesus declared He is God. He was the One Who made that Covenant with Abraham. He was the One Who gave the Law. And He is the One Who forgives sins.
Comments
Post a Comment